Saturday, June 18, 2011

Happy Fathers Day

Hello Friends,
It has been awhile.  I am sorry if you have missed reading my post.  Recently, I started back to college, between college, work, life, etc I have neglected my blog.  I will try to get better in the coming days. 
However, today is a great day. Today is Father's Day.  For all of us out there at some point and time in life we have been blessed to have a FATHER (still living, past on, estranged, etc).  We have the Earthly one here and then the greatest of all in Heaven.  So with it being Father's Day, it made me ponder what is a Father?  According to Webster Dictionary
a : a man who has begotten a child; also : sire 3 b capitalized (1) : God1 (2) : the first person of the Trinity
Additional definitions:
  1. man who is parent: a man who is the parent of a human being, or a male animal that has produced offspring
  2. man acting as parent: a man who brings up and looks after a child as if he were its father
  3. man who is ancestor: a man who is an ancestor, especially the founder of a family or people
However, I do not feel that those definitions define a father.  I have been blessed to have numerous father figures in my life.  Ranging from my dad, both grandfathers, a father-in-law and many other men who have had a hand in molding me into the man I am today.  Most people think of fathers as providers, they are suppose to be strong for their families, lend advice, be there when the world turns their back on you, teach you life lessons, etc.  I believe a father is a person who should be there no matter what, be that person that you can depend on in a split second, offer encourging words, mold you into the person you shall become. 
I am currently 28 years old and two of the most influential men in my life are my father and my grandfather from both I have learned many valuable lessons.  From both of these men I have learned how to love, how to show compassion, how to work hard, how to stand up for what you believe in, how to provide for your family, how to share a encouraging word, the list goes on.  From these men I have been molded into the man I am today and I thank the good Lord above that he placed me into their lives and most importantly me into theirs.  I am proud to call both of you "father" in some form of the word. 
I found this on a website that Paul Harvey had to say about Father's
In honor of Father’s Day this coming Sunday,
I am posting a piece by Paul Harvey.
What Is a Father?
A father is a person who is forced to endure
childbirth without an anesthetic. He growls
when he feels good and laughs very loud
when he is scared half-to-death.
A father never feels entirely worthy of the
worship in a child’s eyes. He is never quite
the hero his daughter thinks. Never quite the man
his son believes him to be. And this worries him
sometimes. (So he works too hard to try to
smooth the rough places in the road of those
of his own who will follow him.)
A father is a person who goes to war sometimes
…and would run the other way, except that war
is part of an important job in his life (which is
making the world better for his child than it has
been for him).
Fathers grow older faster than other people,
because they, in other wars, have to stand at the
train station and wave goodbye to the uniform that
climbs on board. And, while mothers cry where it
shows, fathers stand and beam … outside …
and die inside.
Fathers are men who give daughters away to other
men who aren’t nearly good enough, so that they
can have children that are smarter than anybody’s.
Fathers fight dragons almost daily. They hurry
away from the breakfast table off to the arena,
which is sometimes called an office or a workshop.
There they tackle the dragon with three heads —
Weariness, Work, and Monotony. And they never
quite win the fight, but they never give up.
Knights in shining armor; fathers in shiny trousers.
There’s little difference as they march away each
workday.
I trust that you will be able to honor your father,
either in person or as you share with others what’s
in your memory about your dad.
I hope you dads out there will be a blessing to
your families and that you will be blessed by
your families.

No comments:

Post a Comment