Monday, July 18, 2011

The Mortal Man

I ask for your prayers as I blog with a heavy heart. 
Tonight I finally witnessed the weakness of a man that I hold dear to my heart.  At roughly 600pm I was contacted by Jetona as she let me know my father was being admitted to the hospital for the first time in his life.  At this time there are no known problems just more precautionary measures being taken by the doctors.
 As I drove home on I-65 the realization that my father is no immortal human being began to set in.  I finally realized that the man I grew up looking up to, the man I longed to be, the man I placed above others, the man I thought was Superman, is nothing more than just that, a human being, he is a man in the truest form. While I have known for all my life that he bleeds, he cries, he gets mad, is happy, gets hurt, sick, etc today brought to the forefront of my mind that at anytime, no matter how powerful, how magical, how indestructible, how unbreakable, how strong, or how super, the truth is we all are prone to the elements of this world (psychologically, physically, emotionally, etc).  My father is by no means perfect (I'll admit it), he is not indestructible, untouchable, he is not superhuman, but in my eyes he was/is.  But while sitting there watching him in that hospital bedroom I realized that one day this will end up possibly being his final destination, as God calls one of his children home.  I sat there and looked at a man who for my 28 years plus has never needed or asked anything from anyone, but I sat there and watched a man that I realized at some point is going to need someone.  My father is 51 years old and I finally saw in his eyes a small bit of fear (though he would never admit to it).  But through the fear, being the strong man that he is, he constantly told me and reassured me that it was going to be ok, that he was going to be fine.  I sat there and wondered how can he be so sure, I found myself telling him the things I have only seen in movies, Dad we need you home, you got to battle through whatever this is, etc.   For many of you who know me you know that I tend to have a big soft side, I tend to get somewhat emotional (ok really emotional).  But tonight I finally realized that he is not invincible, but that he is MORTAL! 
I leave you with the following verse:

Deuteronomy 31:6 ESV / 113 helpful votes

Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment