Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Closing of One Chapter, The Starting of a New One

March 7, 2012

As I take a day to reflect on my career in the educational world as an admissions officer/representative, today brings about a bittersweet moment.

In September of 2006 I was awarded a job as a High School Presenter with Louisville Technical Institute (now Sullivan College of Technology and Design). Who knew that it would be the beginning of a bright future. I sought the job (looking for part-time work while going to school full-time) as I was debating what career path I would take as a college student. I wanted to be a teacher. However, instead of doing student teaching to find out if I wanted to teach. I food a job that would pay me to stand in front of classrooms and deliver presentations to the masses about their futures and about career opportunities that were out there. As a young, ambitious, driven young man, my reward was a promotion into the admissions world (cubicle life). I must say that I loved doing presentations, following a script and bringing my personal flare to the position. I connected with the kids, I respected the kids, and I feel they respected me as well. However, the inside job force was totally different. It was structured, set hours of operation, etc. I learned a lot, developed a lot of relationships and most importantly I grew professionally. I will admit it I was green so I probably didn't do as well as I could have done. But it was preparation for my future.

Then in March 2008, a little over a year in the business I took a leap of faith, quit my job, moved to Campbellsville, Ky, got married.

Then in June of 2008 as I was still looking for employment in Campbellsville, the call came that changed everything. I was offered a job with Lincoln College of Technology out of Indianapolis, IN. It was a prayer answered because I had just told the wife that I was going to have to go back to Louisville to get a job because nothing was working out at home (Prayer Answered). So on June 23, 2008 with 3 strangers sitting in a room (2 of whom have become great friends of mine Brian and Gary) the journey started.

Being an outside admissions representative is no easy task, it’s a lot of building of relationships, and I think I have been in over half the counties in Kentucky. I had to build my territory one county at a time, one school at a time, one student and family at a time. The first year was rough, I was away from home (a lot many nights sleeping in hotels, staying at my sisters, etc). Being a newlywed this job almost became a burden (it's hard to divide time between work and marriage when you average 80 hours a week of drive time and work time). I thank God that he gave Jetona patience to deal with such demands of her husband over the past almost 4 years. I will never say it was easy but God had his helping hand in the matter.

Then the change came, the Rebirth time. In Jan 2011, the job lost some of the perks (financial), they were expecting more results, less pay. I am not going to complain about the pay because I have been blessed by my job, it provided a lot for us and for that I am thankful. However, in a way it was a blessing in disguise because I no longer was driven by money and the desire to work harder to obtain it. 2011 was my year of rediscovering what truly matters in life. Between a job that lost its appeal, two family heart surgeries, some other personal news, the decision to follow God closer, etc. I WAS REBORN.

In September my territory was changed and with that brought about new opportunities to meet new people, to help a new group of students, etc. It was a blessing because those nights of hotel living, not getting into the house until 1 a.m. is over. The hours got better, but the demands stayed the same.

After almost 6 months in my new territory, I finally decided to make a change for me and my family. I finally received a job opportunity that would make a difference in my life. A job that would allow me the opportunity to get home a decent hour every day, an opportunity to pursue other interest in life, an opportunity to be free and be flexible with my time.

Did I mention that all this happened after the fact that I decided to follow God and his plan.
As Jeremiah 29: 11 says For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. (NEW LIFE VERSE)

I stopped trying to control the situation in my life, I stopped chasing money (if you haven't realized it yet we will never get enough of it). I realized that following God was more important and He has yet to fail me. It all happened in a two day period February 4-5, while driving in my vehicle. After I finally decided that money was no longer my obsession, finally decided that YES LORD I WILL FOLLOW YOU! I know that it was God's plan, not mine that I have received the rewards and blessings that have happened in the last month or so.

I will close with saying that yes today is a sad day in my life, I leave behind great friendships, amazing students and families, but today is also a dream come true as I thought it would never be possible to find an opportunity that would make a difference in my life and eventually the lives of those so close to me. As one chapter closes another one is being opened.

No comments:

Post a Comment