Thursday, September 20, 2012

Lane Goodwin

Today my heart is heavy.  Earlier today I notice a photo of my mother and her co-workers giving a thumbs up sign.  My first thought was who is Lane?  Is it someone they work with?  Because I never heard her speak of Lane.  As I got home I started digging and to my surprise I found this young man who is battling cancer. 

Now I do not know Lane, but I have read a great deal about him, his family, and his struggle and my heart is saddened by the news/information that I have found about Lane.  However, in what might seem to be viewed as a negative by many, I see positives.  I hurt for his family, I get choked up as I see the picture of him and his brother lying there in the bed together.  I realize though that this young man has endured and suffered a lot, but from photos of him and stories, I gain that he is an individual who is very optimistic, upbeat, full of life, with even a larger personality and knows exactly where he is headed. 

As I said, I do not know Lane or his family but I feel attached, as it seems so many, feel the same way.  The outward support that the community, state, country have sent to this young man brings about rejoicing.  The simple act of building Facebook pages in support of Lane, to the Thumbs Up shows that we are still one of the greatest nations in the world.  It shows that we still care about our neighbors.  It shows there are many who still have compassion for others as they face adverse situations.  However, it is Lane's faith that has struck me to the core. 

In the face of such adversity Lane remains strong and courageous. He knows where he is going when God calls one of His chosen ones home. While this does not change the current events all those who have been touched can rest easy.  Because Lane knows where he is headed.  He is headed to a place of no suffering or pain. 

I have always wondered why a young person and family would ever have to face such situations but am reminded that God has a plan for each of our lives.  He knew us before we were born.  He created us, gave us as gifts to our families and friends and the world around us. 

What I take from Lane is this:   
We can take with us the fact that no matter what life throws at us, keep our eyes on God.  God has a plan for each of us.  God grants us life.  He gave us a life that we should cherish and embrace, living each day as its our last, because tomorrow is not promised.  God never said it would be easy.  God never said we would have all triumphs without trials.  Nor did He promise that we would achieve and accomplish everything without any disappointments.  In this one life, that now is touching many, we can see that God grants us a temporary home on Earth with an opportunity to make our everlasting home in Heaven.  Lane Goodwin is an "ANGEL" sent to us.  I am sure at his young age he would have never asked for cancer.  As I feel at his age he should be worrying with issue that all young teenagers should deal with like what shoes to buy, clothes to wear, high school crushes, etc.  However, God's plan is something different. 

I cannot say that I know how the family feels but I pray that through it all they continue to find comfort and that with each day that sting they feel will be lightened as they know where their son is going, knowing they will have a special Angel watching over them.  Remember, our place on Earth is only temporary and I hope that Lane's story inspires many to live their lives as Lane has lived his.    https://www.facebook.com/#!/garrett.milby

No comments:

Post a Comment